- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 oz baby Bella or white button mushrooms, sliced (3 cups sliced)
- 2 medium shallots, sliced (1/2 cup sliced)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon picked fresh thyme leaves, no stems
- 1 large sprig fresh Rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup California walnuts
- 1/2 cup canned lentils (brown lentils), no salt added, or rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
Serving suggestions: sliced french baguette or whole grain crackers plus additional whole or chopped walnuts, pickled shallots or pickles and seasonal fruits and vegetables such as sliced apples, grapes, celery
Heat large sauté pan with olive oil on medium heat until it just starts to shimmer.
• Add mushrooms and shallots. Season with salt and pepper and add thyme leaves and rosemary.
• Sweat for about 6 minutes. Adjust heat to medium low and/or stir as necessary to prevent burning.
• Deglaze with tamari or soy sauce and cook for about another minute on low heat. Remove from heat and remove rosemary sprigs if using.
• Transfer to food processor, and add walnuts, lentils, maple syrup, and sherry vinegar.
• Blend until completely smooth, scraping down sides as necessary.
• Refrigerate and serve chilled with crostini or crackers and additional chopped walnuts.